Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Maximo Park's Quicken The Heart


Just simply, I like their old stuff better than their new stuff. It doesn't have the same energy or intensity as their older records, most of the tracks seem to blend into each other rather than having their own sound like on A Certain Trigger and Our Earthly Pleasures

The thing is, they set out to make music exciting on their early albums and now they have decided to direct their sound toward more gentle ballads which sound a little short of awkward and out of place on a Maximo Park album

There are some good Maximo Park-y tracks on here like Wraithlike, In Another World, Let's Get Clinical, Overland- West Of Suez and Tales Of The Semi-Detatched.

I'd like to map your body out/inch by inch/north to south/and I am free for circumnavigation
. These are probably my favourite lyrics of the album so far; the lyrics on this album are good but lacking the fresh spark.

I find myself actually detesting a song- The Penultimate Clinch really doesn't work for me. The lyrics are too fumbled for my liking and the guitar riff sounds too much like Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division.

Overall 6.5 SteffSTARS


Hopefully it will grow on me as I listen on, these are just my first impressions and I really do like this band (They are one of my top five) and I hope hope hope will come to Perth and play a show or two





Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen to the album more and more,
it will grow on you,I assure you.
Its different from the previous two albums,but just as good.